Through NABA Chapters, volunteer your time for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA). The VITA program offers free tax preparation and assistance to those with low-to-moderate incomes. You don’t need prior experience or be a tax expert or math wizard. All you need is the desire to help others – we’ll teach you the rest.
Six Reasons Why You Should Volunteer with NABA’s VITA Program
1. Opportunity to Give Back - Directly or indirectly, we've all been supported in some way by citizens in our community. It is a privilege to give back.
2. Personal Development such as learning current tax rules and how to prepare various types of personal tax returns, learning to use state-of-the-art tax software, improved communication skills resulting from interaction with taxpayers, and improved time management skills.
3. Fellowship and Networking. We work hard, but also take time to socialize and have a little fun, including snacks and lunch on site. You’ll build new personal and business relationships and hear of new job opportunities from other volunteers you might not hear of otherwise.
4. Enhance Your Resume. Potential employers and managers looking to promote from within are impressed with VITA volunteers. They know that many of the skills needed to be an asset to their organization are the same skills you polish while participating in VITA.
5. Increased Self-Esteem from giving back to your community and helping people to file correct tax returns. You realize how valuable your knowledge and training is to others.
6. Satisfaction of helping those in need. We literally get hundreds of compliments and words of appreciation every tax season. There is no better reward.
Choose Your Tax Volunteer Role
Greeters/Screeners – Greet taxpayers, then screen them to determine type of assistance they need. Also confirm we have the necessary documents to prepare their taxes. Tax law certification not required.
Assistants - Support other volunteer staff by making copies or verifying information using online tools. Also assist elderly and those with disabilities to fill out forms. Tax law certification not required.
Tax Preparers – Complete and successfully certify in tax law training, including the use of electronic filing software, to provide free tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers.
Quality Reviewers – Review tax returns completed by volunteer tax preparers, ensuring that taxpayer receives top quality service and tax returns are error-free. Must be tax law certified.
NABA VITA Programs in Your Area
Here are a few links to additional information or email contacts for NABA Chapters leading in their respective communities through the VITA Program:NABA Charlotte